February 13, 2003

Goats

The leaves are getting fuller! I am starting to name each leaf, more about that tomorrow.

progress4.jpg

And the no-brainer project that I'm working on when I'm too tired for LaJ... I'm calling it "The Laurel-Linette" sweater because those two people covet the lime green Magpie Tweed that I'm using!

progress4magpie.jpg

GOATS

goats.jpg

There is a story that my doctor once told me. It seems there was a Jewish man named Levi who lived in a hut with his wife, 4 kids and 2 goats. It was very crowded. He went to the Rabbi for advice. "Rabbi," he said, "I don't know what to do! I have a wife, 4 children and 2 goats and my hut is very small. We argue and fight all the time, the goats are in the way, and it is driving us crazy, what shall we do?" and the Rabbi said "get another goat".

"What?" asked Levi. "Get another goat," repeated the Rabbi. So the man got another goat and brought it into the hut, making one wife, four children and 3 goats. He lived like that for another month until he again was about to go crazy. He went back to the Rabbi, repeated his problem, and the Rabbi said, "get another goat". Amazed, Levi questioned him again, desperate to think that yet another goat would be added to the small area of his hut. Again, the Rabbi insisted. So another goat was added to the hut and now he had a wife, 4 children and 4 goats.

This happened yet one more time, until there was a wife, 4 children and 5 goats. By this time Levi was almost out of control. There was no open floor space at all in the hut. It was always smelly and noisy. The goats didn't have room to lie down, and everyone was always hungry. Levi was at wits' end. He ran to the Rabbi's house, wild-eyed and fearful. The Rabbi looked at him and said "sell three of your goats." Levi, grateful that he did not have to add more to his household, went home and sold 3 goats, leaving him with a wife, 4 children and 2 goats. The next day he saw the Rabbi in the street, and the Rabbi asked him how things were at home. Levi smiled broadly, thanked the Rabbi profusely and said "it is wonderful! We have so much more room now; we are very happy!"

Sometimes you must give up a goat, even the very best goat that you have, in order to get back to the proper balance in your life. It's not necessarily bad for the goat... it may have liked you a lot, but can also be very happy living with someone else.

I hope that all my friends from the Goat I Just Gave Up will forgive me and will check in here every now and then and let me know how you're doing and what you're knitting.

Comments

Hi Sheila, La J. is looking fabulous! You're showing me that sometimes intarsia *is* worth it. Maybe if I just try doing a couple of rows on Ardagh every night, who knows? I'm still craving that pesto tweed...

Posted by: Linette on February 13, 2003 10:16 AM

That's the ticket! Do just enough that you make progress and before you know it the progress you've made will be so inspiring that you begin to love it... (ask me how I know!). I don't allow myself to "have" to work on LaJ, I only work on it when I think it's my choice :-) The great thing about LaJ is that it is *never* repetitive (not that I don't like repeating patterns, it's a different animal). So, everything is new all the time.

Posted by: sheila on February 13, 2003 10:52 AM

Is the L-L sweater from a pattern or are you just making it up? Is that fisherman rib you're doing there? one of my favorite stitches, very cuddly.

Posted by: Caroline F on February 13, 2003 11:38 AM

The Laurel-Linette is from Rowan #12 (same book as Long Leaf) and is the moss-stitch rib sweater, shown in red Magpie Tweed in the book. I think Walker calls this stitch "Mistake-Stitch ribbing." I don't think it is a true Fisherman's Rib because Fisherman's has you knitting or purling into the back of a stitch, no? This is just a one-off knit 2, purl 2.

Posted by: Sheila on February 13, 2003 12:35 PM

My understanding of Fisherman rib is that you knit into the stitch below each K stitch (assuming you are going back and forth - around and around it is a PITA because you have to PURL into the stitch below on every other row). Someday I have to look into Barbara Walker, I would never have thought of shifting a K2P2 just ONE stitch.

Posted by: Caroline F on February 13, 2003 12:48 PM

Oh, yes, that's right! Below the stitch, and it's fun to do.

Posted by: sheila on February 13, 2003 12:57 PM

Hmm - now we're goats?!

Yeah, that's actually a pretty good analogy for life most of the time around here too.

I'm tempted to bring something really boring to knit with me for Sunday, but I might bring Erin.

I'll have to see, and you're looking gorgeous in that photo - that isn't matronly at all!

My mum has matronly down to a T, it involves a lot of polar fleece.

Posted by: Angela on February 13, 2003 05:34 PM

Very Very Nice Goats :-) Angora goats, maybe, or cashmere? Please do bring Erin, I'd love to see it!!

Posted by: Sheila on February 13, 2003 06:20 PM

leaves are looking great! i am plugging along on my afghan, only 21" left to go on the body ;-)
can i have sheep instead of goats?

Posted by: vanessa on February 13, 2003 06:28 PM

Loved your goat analogy. Just remember not to leave too much extra room in your life. Remember that we're still around!
Have you measured the leaves yet to check on final
length...or do you have a VERY tall friend!!
Leslie

Posted by: Leslie on February 13, 2003 08:15 PM

Of course I'll leave room for all y'all :-) And if you prefer sheep, I'm sure they work just as well as goats. Maybe even large dogs would work! I have indeed measured my row count and so far, it's still right on gauge. I imagine that the sheer length of the garment will mean that the weight of it will stretch it beyond that, though. Along that line, I'm already worrying about how I'm going to handle washing and blocking it! If worse comes to worst, my "little" sister is over 6 feet tall...

Posted by: Sheila on February 13, 2003 10:05 PM

Oh, and Vanessa, send me a picture of your afghan so I can post it!

Posted by: sheila on February 13, 2003 10:06 PM
Posted by Sheila at February 13, 2003 06:07 PM Posted to Knitting | Long Leaf Coat | Stories | TrackBack
Comments