November 18, 2004

Bridge over a Bad Mood

It was one of those days when I wander around trying to find something to interest me. I looked through my yarn stash, thought perhaps I should just sell it all off-- I didn't want to knit any more anyway, right? The loom looked at me balefully, resentfully. I hadn't touched it since August. The needlepoint lady let a tear slip down her face as the cobwebs obscured the edge of her kimono. The spinning wheels were not calling my name. The cross-stitch project, still unrecognizable in its infancy, just sucked its thumb. Crochet? Blah. Tatting? Nah. Beading? Unh-uh. Dyeing? Non. Rug hooking? Nyet. Plastic canvas? Nope. Smocking, sewing, quilting? No, no, no, leave me alone, leave me alone, leave me alone!!!

And what do I do when this sort of day occurs? I start another doomed sock, of course. Maybe socks have a special role in my life--the role of a bridge over a bad mood. Maybe they're what I do when I don't want to do anything at all but must do something. Maybe if I ever actually finished a sock, let alone a pair, it would signify a span of identity crisis that would be alarming. Perhaps if I ever was able to put a pair of my handknit socks on my feet and wear them I would actually disappear. Hmm. That sounds like incentive.

timberlinesockswirl.jpgHaving recently purchased Lucy Neatby's Cool Socks, Warm Feet, I determined to make the Timberline socks using Lorna's Laces sock yarn in Brick for the top cuff, Gold Hill for the sock body, and Sage for the heel and toe. Size 0 needles, tubular cast-on, and 84 stitches around. The patterning of the yarn is quite unique, and I think I like it. I can't call it pooling or lightning or blotching... it's more like swooping.

This is my last entry until after Thanksgiving holidays. Enjoy your feasts and have a wonderful week!

Posted by Sheila at November 18, 2004 08:00 AM Posted to Knitting | TrackBack
Comments

Scoot over Sheila, I am right here with you. Nothing sounds appealing to me, either. I say we take a vacation from all of this stuff and enjoy our week off. Except, knitting socks. I guess in 2005 I will have to learn.

Posted by: Cathy on November 18, 2004 09:10 AM

Perhaps it's time to do a "Franklin" and scoot off the Paris? I'm sure people knit, crochet, and do other needlework there but it's not obligatory - and you never see it in the movies. Sit at a cafe and drink, oh, whatever, and watch the truly elegant world go by.

I truly enjoy reading the exploits of Glitchbanes et al and will be in withdrawal over Thanksgiving. Oh, maybe I could knit....

Posted by: joan on November 18, 2004 09:44 AM

I've heard of comfort food, now I have a new one -comfort socks. They are beautiful. I have to get some Lorna's Laces, the colours are lovely and the pooling is like magic to me.
Enjoy your holiday,
Li

Posted by: Li_B on November 18, 2004 10:01 AM

Ha. Clever you.

The other sock will refuse to stack, swirl, swoop, pool, blotch, OR lightning bolt. It will be, therefore, *impossible* to finish the pair.

So very, very clever...

Posted by: Felina Schwarz on November 18, 2004 10:14 AM

I have days like that, too. Put your arms around yourself, now squeeeeeeeeezzzzze....there you go. A long-distance hug from me!

Posted by: RebeccaL on November 18, 2004 02:28 PM

i love the way felina's mind works ;-) i will also miss you mme. glitchbane. and when i have one of those moods, i call them the oootchiescootchies.

Posted by: vanessa on November 19, 2004 03:18 AM

I'm onto you, Felina Schwarz. You think that by taunting me you will invoke reverse psychology, otherwise known as gnuj-ian psychology and make me finish the pair. Do you really think a Glitchbane would fall for that?! Ha.

At least *some* people identify with my little crisis. I think Paris is a fabulous idea, and anyone who wants to join me, let's just go, ok?

Posted by: Sheila on November 19, 2004 09:25 AM

uhoh, I think I've been had. Felina is smart enough to know that I'm smart enough to know that she would try the reverse psych thingie. So I *will* finish the pair and therefore thwart her evil intentions to keep me from it. Bwahahahaha!

Posted by: Sheila on November 19, 2004 09:27 AM

Do you have Knitting on the Road? The Traveler's socks, were a not easily put down project, try em you'll like em.
Sue in sunny FL

Posted by: Sue on November 19, 2004 03:20 PM

ok, Sue, I'm trying them. After I figured out I was a dork for thinking that 84 stitches at 9 spi is less than 8.25". That sock was doomed way before I even cast it on. I like the Traveler's Sock, and I actually have three balls of Koigu in a nice purply mauve color, and I can't tell you how much I appreciate the suggestion. You may have saved my sanity.

Posted by: Sheila on November 19, 2004 05:24 PM

The blahs are going around. I always feel better when the snow flies. I hate it, but at least it's a committment, and respite from the grey autumn.

Posted by: Stephanie on November 21, 2004 06:13 AM

Once you know what the sock yarn is going to do- well that's really all you need to know about the sock isn't it?

Do you mean to say that some folks actually finish the sock? And even the second sock??????

Posted by: Carol on November 22, 2004 07:24 AM

Starting socks are a little like eating potato chips for me, one just isn't enough. I have complete pairs of socks that are finished somehow despite myself and so to get back at them, i will give them away as christmas presents. Or not *yikes!* Perhaps by the time you post after the holiday i would have figured a way out of this dilemma Madame. Hope you have a wonderful, enjoyable, completely happy day.

Posted by: mary e on November 22, 2004 10:11 AM

I have seen the Traveler's Socks and will, I hope, be the lucky recipient! They are goregous. I have some Lorna's Laces in the sock stash--including the Sage. They certainly do vary from sock to sock in coloring.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving.

Posted by: Kathleen on November 23, 2004 06:04 AM